Sunday, September 26, 2010

Grafton Ferry

I rode a ferry for the first time yesterday. It was OK.

Grafton, Illinois is cute, tiny and overrun with noisy Harleys. Harley riders love the Great River Road (Hwy 100) because it's flat, wide and has mild curves. I was on 100 for less than two hours and saw around 200 Harleys. I also rode a winding hilly road through Pere Marquette Park, on which I saw zero Harleys.

I had lunch outside on the main strip in Grafton and it was like a Harley parade. Once in awhile a big bike would purr quietly by... Gold Wings, of course. There were a few sport bikes mixed in with the groups of Harleys.

The time I spent on 100 quickly became boring. The scenery is nice but repetitive. The first eagle you see is exciting, but a dozen eagles later the thrill wears off.

One fellow traveller endorsed the Golden Eagle Ferry over the Grafton Ferry. It leads to a hilly section of Illinois between the Illinois River and the Mississippi River. I'll be making that trip soon.

I took a lot of photos during the Grafton trip but none of them are very interesting. I include only one so-so ferry shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment