Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Best Motorcycle in the World

The Chrome Nun, my 2008 Triumph Bonneville T100, is the best motorcycle in the world. I'm biased, of course, but that really is the way I feel about The Nun. And I will now elaborate on my absurd statement.

If I could have designed my dream motorcycle it would have been very close to the reality of the new Bonneville. The new Bonnie has the name and look of a classic but is built with the highest standards of engineering and quality. This is a Triumph that Sochiro Honda would respect.

I like a lot of different motorcyles and would own a dozen different bikes if I could afford them, but since I can only afford one right now, my best bet is a Bonnie. I ride all kinds of roads. I'm a backroader and an explorer. I never know what kind of road I'll turn down next. For that kind of riding I'm most comfortable on a mid-size naked standard twin. That description includes the Sportster and the new Guzzi V7, both of which I like. I just like the Bonnie more.

If the Bonnie was much bigger it wouldn't be suited for bad back roads. If it was much smaller it wouldn't handle well on fast highways. The new Bonnie is an old-fashioned general-purpose motorcycle, and that's my favorite kind. I like that I can confidently turn down any road that captures my curiosity.

Of all the new Bonnevilles I like the 2008 T100 best. I love the retro styling of the T and '08 was the last year for real carburetors (in the US). Electronic Fuel Injection has become very dependable but a carb failure will most likely just slow you down while an EFI failure could stop you cold. Anyway, I dislike the "phony carbs" on the EFI models.

And of all the color schemes on the new Bonnies, many of which I think look great, I like the b&w T100 the most. I like black motorcycles but these days all-black is a little too black for my taste. The b&w T reminds me of a police motorcycle. Maybe that's comforting.

I've made a few important changes to The Nun which have made her even more suited to me. And this bike is the first showroom-new vehicle I've ever bought for myself. And when you put this all together it seems right that before and after every ride I just stand there looking at The Nun with admiration and wonder that I got so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment