Saturday, November 13, 2010

Some people shouldn't ride.

Last weekend I met a nice 50ish fellow with a cool new neo-retro Moto Guzzi V7. We talked at length about backroading, avoiding traffic and just enjoying riding. I thought we were kindred spirits until I saw him depart on the bike. Instead of a smooth confident take-off he handled the machine like it was his first time. Actually, the first time I rode a motorcycle I handled it more deftly than the way he rode.

Different people have different characteristics, like attitude and coordination, that make them better or poorly suited for certain physical activities. I was a natural for motorcycling. My motorcycle racing uncle Bill was probably a natural. But his little brother, my father, had no business on a motorcycle. Dad dumped bikes. And when you watched him ride, you understood why.

I need to observe bad riders and see if there is a tell, a genetic marker, like maybe they are terrible dancers...

No comments:

Post a Comment