Sunday, March 27, 2011

Then Came Bronson


In 1969, a year before I turned 16 and bought my first motorcycle, there was a TV series about a guy wandering around the country on a motorcycle. The show was OK. The best part was his "convertible" motorcycle. When he rode it on the highway it was a 886cc Sportster. But whenever he took it off road it turned into a 350cc Sprint. Nice trick.

Oddly, a guy who lived at the end of my street owned a Sprint, so I knew what one was, unlike most people in the world. The Sprint was a single-cylinder "thumper" built by Aermacchi of Italy and marketed by Harley Davidson as one of their own.

 

When Bronson's Sportster turned into a Sprint, it still had the red Sportster "peanut" fuel tank with the distinctive "all seeing eye" motif. I don't know if that fooled many people.

Our neighborhood had some very uncool motorcycles. One friend's father rode a small Honda scrambler (150cc?) and looked kind of silly on it. Another friend rode a Cushman, a moped and a Sears Allstate. My first bike was a 250 Honda Dream, so who am I to talk?

No comments:

Post a Comment