Sunday, October 31, 2010

Cold weather riding gear.

Temperatures are dropping.
I'll ride my motorcycle unless there's a threat of ice on the road. But I don't like hypothermia.

I recently bought a "pair" of Dickies thermal bib overalls for about 60 bucks. They are black, warm, comfortable and easy to get on and off over boots and jeans. They fold easily, making storage simple. I've worn them while riding in temps in the low 40s F and have been perfectly comfortable. I think the bibs will be sufficient for all but prolonged near-freezing exposure.

To keep my upper torso warm I wear as many layers as the temperature requires: T-shirt, heavy long-sleeve work shirt, large sweatshirt, XL sweatshirt, XXL sweatshirt, "perfecto" jacket, wool scarf and full-coverage helmet.

I deliberately purchased an oversized jacket and removed the liner and pocket bags so that I could wear it in temps up to 80F and so that I could pile on multiple layers in cooler weather. (In temps above 80F I wear a mesh jacket.)

Depending on temps I wear mesh gloves, unlined leather gloves or lined leather gloves.

Helmet visor fogging is a problem at low temps. I've been advised to buy a product that snowmobile riders use. I'll be searching for some soon.

I don't plan on any long or high-speed rides at near freezing temperatures but it's wonderful to be able to ride around town for an hour after being snowed in for a week. Fortunately, I'm back in St. Louis where winters are usually mild and snow seldom lasts for long. "Indian Summer" warm spells in mid winter are common in St. Louis.

Electrically-heated riding gear is available but it's expensive and makes the pre and post-ride rituals more complex. If we ever move to Wisconsin I'll think about it. Or if I ever have enough spare money to afford a Ural Patrol. Then I'll be out riding IN the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment