Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My Third Motorcycle

I always thought of my 1974 Honda CB500 as my "second and a half" motorcycle. It was my dad's bike and he gave it to me when he bought a CB 650. I already had my beloved 1977 Honda CJ360T at the time so I hardly ever rode the 500.


In fact, about the only times I ever rode the 500 was when I planned to ride on the interstate or I intended to give a ride to a girlfriend. The 360 was too light for the interstate and too little for passengers.

The rest of the time the 500 collected dust while I rode all over town on the 360. The 500 felt heavy, awkward and sluggish compared to the 360. It was a nice looking, nice running bike. But I never really liked it.

I think my dad gave me the bike to try to bribe me into riding with him. It didn't work. He was a dangerous rider and I stayed the hell away from him. A couple of months after he got the 650 he wrecked it. He busted his rotator cuff and the bike was in the shop for a month. I rode it to his house from the shop because he wasn't ready to ride yet.

I didn't like the 650 either, but that was mostly because it was a bagger with a big view-blocking fairing. I like naked bikes. I like to be able to see the road right in front of me.

Shortly after Dad died I sold the 500. I was glad to be rid of it.

My new Bonneville is about the size and weight of the 500. It probably handles similarly but I like it anyway. I always preferred twins to fours and the Bonnie is NOT sluggish. And the Bonnie is much better for giving rides. That 865cc engine doesn't care if there's a passenger.

No comments:

Post a Comment