Sunday, October 10, 2010

Calhoun County Revisited

Yesterday I returned to Calhoun County, Illinois. Traffic was heavier and two ferries were running. I rode the MRR, the Mississippi River Road, past my intended Hardin turn off because that road was completely unmarked. After riding twisties devoid of bike traffic I met the western part of the GRR, the Great River Road. The GRR is fairly flat and barely curved so it was full of noisy Harleys and similar machines.

I took the GRR back to Hardin and perhaps the only gas station in the county. The lot was full of Harleys and trikes. I got the hell off the GRR route and took my missed cut off back to the MRR and home by the twisties.

Riding a hundred miles of "bad" twisty hilly roads has left me a bit sore. You use a lot of muscles to navigate the bad back roads; muscles that you don't use if you're reclining on a cruiser, taking easy roads.

The trees are beginning to change color. Next weekend will be very colorful. I've had enough of Calhoun for awhile. The scenery is primarily bare, recently harvested fields. I'm starting to miss Wild Horse Creek Rd.

I just had new Pirelli Sport Demon tires put on the Nun and they feel great. A minor oil drip turned out to be a loose oil filter that was installed by an authorized dealer tech. When the warranty concludes next April I'll be doing most or all service work myself. I'm more careful than the average mechanic.

I'd be riding instead of writing if I hadn't overdone it yesterday. I'll take the Nun for a spin sometime today but right now I'm enjoying a restful Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment