Thursday, January 6, 2011

Goodbye Grafton Ferry

Silt buildup between the islands forced the ferry downstream and increased the trip length by about ten minutes. Silt cleanup was deemed too expensive and the ferry owners sold their equipment to the folks who run the Golden Eagle ferry into Calhoun County, Illinois from St. Charles County, Missouri. Grafton movers and shakers are exploring new options.

The photo above is from 2010, the first time I rode the Grafton Ferry. It was the first time I ever rode ANY ferry. The white cliffs in the background are along the GRR (Great River Road). There were lots of eagles out that day but I only saw them when I was riding so I couldn't photograph them.

The flat, gently-curving GRR is a favorite with BHB (big Harley bagger) riders. I prefer the twisties and hills in Calhoun County.

You can still ferry to Grafton, kind of, by taking the Golden Eagle Ferry to Calhoun County, then ride northeast to the free Brussels Ferry across the Illinois River at Pere Marquette park, a short way from Grafton.

It's a bit of a trick getting from the Golden Eagle Ferry to the Brussels Ferry. The Google and MapQuest maps are misleading and street signs are inconsistent over there. But if you zig-zag a path going northeast from the Golden Eagle Ferry you will eventually see signs that lead you to the free Brussels Ferry.

I visited Calhoun County about six times last year and I never took quite the same route twice. You can't get too badly lost because the county is bordered by the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers, creating a long skinny peninsula. The Golden Eagle Ferry is at the southernmost tip of the "peninsula" so it's always easy to find.

But if you're going to explore Calhoun, do it on a full tank of fuel. The only gas station around is in Hardin, 20 miles north of the GE ferry. Hardin hugs the west side of the Illinois River on the east side of Calhoun County.

I love riding in Calhoun County. It reminds me of the Ozarks. It's twisty and hilly and some of the roads are awful, just the way I like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment