Saturday, January 15, 2011

Please, tread for me!


I disliked the front Lasertech on my T100. It tracked badly and wobbled at 50mph. I also wasn't fond of the road-only rear radial that gave me poor traction on gravel, grass, etc.

Modern motorcycle road-only tires are like wrap-around slicks with a few rain grooves.

I replaced those stock Metzelers at 10K miles with road-only Pirelli Sport Demons and have much improved road performance. These are great road tires.

But I made a mistake. I should have tried Tourance tires.

I love exploring bad back roads, which means I encounter sand, gravel, grass, wet metal (going on and off river ferries) and even snow. The Demons are terrific on clean paved roads but they slide in every direction on slick or loose surfaces.

Tourances put less rubber on the road, so they won't hold pavement quite as well as the Demons and they probably won't wear as well. But they have tread! I miss tread.

And the Tourance rear tread looks kinda like a reptile, which is pretty cool.

If you ride only on relatively clean pavement, I highly endorse the Demons. They are great. But if you ever need to go off pavement, consider one of the dual-sport type tires.

Next tire change I'm buying Tourance. I just have to stay upright until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment